Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Next Big Thing: Authors Tagging Authors



This past Friday, the lovely Lauren Grimley was nice enough to tag me into a game of Author Tag.

This was so much more fun than the tag I played as a kid. Though, those games did reveal to me that my running was hazardous to the wellbeing of others. Off the top of my head, I can think of three times my scampering ended in stitches for the other person. And you thought my avowed hatred of athleticism was laziness. Nay! My sedentary lifestyle is a public service.

But thanks to Authors Tagging Authors, I have finally participated in a game of tag that didn’t end in blood or tears or my profuse apologies. So, as you read on, know that you are in the presence of a veritable Christmas miracle!


What is the working title of your book?

Inner Flame.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I’ve always been completely enamored with fairy tales, particularly the ones more in line with original Grimm stories. Morals and magic, of course. But also with creeping darkness at every turn and endings that aren’t simply happy forever after. 

The story that I originally set out to write bears almost no resemblance to the one I’m now working on. The original was fun, with a lot of magical hi-jinx and fish out of water moments. I enjoyed writing it, but noticed that I kept getting distracted by one of the tertiary characters. No matter what I did, she kept taking center stage. And when I wasn’t writing about her, I was wondering what she was off doing during the scene I was writing. Eventually, I had to just admit I’d been beat and let her take over. And thank goodness for that, because she knows what she’s doing far more than I do.  

What genre does your book fall under?

It’s a young adult fantasy. There’s a little bit of romance, some allusions to the paranormal, but, at its heart, it’s a fairy tale.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

This was actually really difficult and, after compiling this list, I realized I'm apparently partial to actors with dark hair. The things you learn, right?

  • Allison Scagliotti
    • Rosaline - Our occasionally pyrotechnic heroine, determined to save her family, especially from herself.
  • Matthew Lewis or 
    • Cole - Future king of Drapning, provided Rosaline can convince him to go back home.
  • Niall Matter
    • Ragnar - Willing to do anything for Rosaline, as long as it doesn’t involve answering any questions about his past.
  • Hayley Atwell
    • Fee - One of the few fairies who still believes in godmothering.
  • Kelly Macdonald (voice)
    • Thea - Always going to be a part of Rosaline’s life, no matter how angry it makes the other dragons.

You’re it! The authors I have tagged:

2 comments:

  1. This was a fun tag to read! Your book sounds like it might be a lot of fun. I love fairy tales.
    Thank you for passing it on...the tag I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Looking forward to reading yours.

      Delete