Monday, October 29, 2012

Rain and Marshmallows


All my hatches are battened down, how about yours?

From all the reports I’m hearing, Hurricane Sandy/Frankenstorm/Frankenstein’s Monstorm/The Snoreastercane is coming at us with a vengeance. So, naturally, I’ve gotten all the necessary provisions for such an event: flashlight, batteries, water and pizza bagels.

I’m feeling pretty good about riding this thing out.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve always enjoyed watching storms. I think it all started back in the day when my grandmother used to babysit me and my sister. If it wasn’t raining, we would always play baseball in her backyard. But, if it was? Well, we had two options. Playing in the magic that was the basement (story for another day) or dragging the porch furniture as far away from the screened windows as we could and watching the storm in all of it’s glory.

We’d sit there, grandma in the middle, and scream every time there was thunder or lightning. My sister and I would scream, that is. Grandma would just say, “Holy Cats ‘n’ Jammer Kids!” and hug us a little tighter. And, as we sat there, taking it all in, we’d happily eat Lucky Charms straight out of the box.

I’m not going to sit out on my balcony today. Firstly, the apartment building made us bring everything in, so there aren’t any chairs. Secondly, it’s too small to position myself anywhere that I won’t get soaked.

But, I am going to watch the storm through the screens. And if any thunder or lightning heads our way, I’ll probably take a page from grandma’s book. A quick exclamation of “Holy Cats ‘n’ Jammer Kids!” followed by a couple of marshmallows for good measure.

How about all of you? Any stormy traditions?

Stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment