Thursday, February 28, 2013

Not-So-Guilty Pleasures: The Lisa Basso Edition

Hey folks!

We've got more Not-So-Guilty Pleasures! *Does a little sitting-at-the-computer dance.*

Today's victim, um, guest, is Young Adult author Lisa Basso (that's her! Right over there -->). Her debut novel, A Shimmer of Angels, was released just last month (Congrats Lisa!). In addition to typing her fingers to the bone, here is what's got her obsessed:



I try not to let anything that makes me as happy as these five items let me feel guilty at all. Life is all about balance and fun. Work hard play hard, you know? I'm a firm believer that trying new things and being open to new experiences is important in life, but that doesn't mean we have to get rid of our first loves. Here are a few of my dear loves. 


1.   Tea. I used to be a coffee drinker, not very long ago. It was my only vice. For those of you who aren't addicted to caffeine like it's crack (and I'd really love to meet someone that doesn't drink coffee/tea/caffeinated beverages), switching from coffee to tea doesn't sound like such a huge deal. Trust me, it was. There was no rabid twitching, blacking out, or homicidal rages (though how cool would that be if there was?), but there was an inherent sadness inside of me that only that sweet little coffee bean could cure. This lasted only for a week. Then it was like coffee never existed. Tea was my savior. Tea was soft, gentle, and gets me to work. It sounds more like a wife. Let me try this again. Tea was hot, steamy, and always ready for me. There, now that sounds better. Long story short, I like tea. :)


2.   DVR. For me, there has been no better invention in the last five (or so) years than the precious digital video recorder. It does for me what a VCR and blank tapes used to (yes, I took my TARDIS and went back there), it makes sure I never miss one of my favorite shows. Now I wouldn't say I watch a lot of TV, but there are certain shows that I would be crushed if I missed. The Walking Dead, Project Runway, The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, Arrow, Community, The Big Bang Theory, Glee, Modern Family, Two Broke Girls, How I Met Your Mother, Castle, and newer favorites The Following and The Carrie Diaries. Okay, so maybe I watch a little more TV than I should, but let me explain that my DVR is always full. I don't remember the last time it was less than fifty percent full. Constantly playing catch-up is fun though.


3.   Gaming. Sorry in advance, this one's going to be long, my friends. My PlayStation 3 is one of my favorite possessions. I don't have anywhere near enough time to play as much as I'd like, but every few days I manage to sneak in an hour or so of gaming awesomeness. 

One of my current obsessions is Lego Lord of the Rings. Really, anything Lego does it for me. From Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Harry Potter. They are all good, clean fun (which is way different from most of my not so guilty pleasures). You feel like smashing something? In Lego games, you can. And they turn to coins. So fun and doubly rewarding. 

Borderlands 2 is classified--are you ready for this?--as a first action role-playing first-person shooter. Um, anyone else get the chills? No? Just me, huh? Borderlands 2 is different, immersive, and ass-kicking awesome. Need I say more?

Alice Madness Returns, a take on Alice in Wonderland where Alice is insane and tries to uncover what really happened during the fire she might have started that took her home and her family. Her hallucinations are the different levels of a gritty, crumbling, violent version of Wonderland. I've played this one through several times already. It's one of those games that doesn't get old.
Anything with the Call of Duty title. While it took me a while to get into the first person shooter, I am now a dedicated fan. Shooting people in the face to take out some aggression. No one can create anything better. 

Except for maybe Dead Island. You play as one of four interesting characters stranded on a resort island during a massive zombie outbreak. You're given blunt objects like bats, paddles, and hammers, guns, and sharp objects like knives, sickles, and katanas. All to kill zombies with. Plus you can stomp on their heads! The ultimate bonus. With a new Dead Island game due out in June, I'm brushing up on my zombie slaying skills now so I won't be out of practice. And P.S. I am zombie apocalypse prepared.


4.   Baking. A weird one after you've just found out my slightly maniacal side, but hear me out. Sugar, butter, and maybe a sprinkling of chocolate. It sounds like a Paula Dean cooking show, doesn't it? I first started baking as a little girl with my Mom in the kitchen. As a teenager I developed a love for chocolate chip cookies (and the dough that made them). The problem was the store-bought dough and cookies aren't even in the same league as homemade, and since my mom worked a lot, I realized if I wanted them I would have to make them. In the last few years, I've turned to baking during stressful times. It's become a release for me, plus it yields yummy goodness. I have a few tried and true recipes that I never deviate from like carrot cake and chocolate chip cookies, but I love trying something new and I have tons of baking cook books. As a matter of fact maybe I'll try a new recipe today!


5.   Books. Okay, I know I'm a writer this may seem like cheating, but I've always loved books. Everything about a book stirs something warm up in my stomach, from the stores that carry them, to the stunning front covers, and, of course, the beautiful words inside. I love reading almost as much as I love writing. I also love visiting bookstores, big chains, smaller yet amazing indie stores, and everything in between. Yes, I have even been known to browse the grocery store book isle (every time). I also order loads of them online and I buy ebooks. I have shelves of real books, too. Sometimes I even get lost just looking at each individual book spine on my shelves while deciding which one to pick up next, then I look up to find nearly an hour has passed. Addicted? I think so.

Thanks Kelly for having me today! 



ABOUT LISA M. BASSO
Lisa M. Basso was born and raised in San Francisco, California. She is a lover of books, video games, animals, and baking (not baking with animals though). As a child she would crawl into worlds of her own creation and get lost for hours. Her love for YA fiction started with a simple school reading assignment: S.E. Hinton’s The Outsiders. When not reading or writing she can usually be found at home with The Best Boyfriend that Ever Lived ™ and her two darling (and sometimes evil) cats, Kitties A and B.

Still hankering for more info on Lisa?
Lisa M. Basso Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Lisa-M-Basso/340213186037936?fref=ts
Lisa M. Basso Twitter:
http://twitter.com/LisaMBasso
Lisa M. Basso Website:
http://lisa-basso.blogspot.com/  


And her book?
Goodreads A SHIMMER OF ANGELS: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13572197-a-shimmer-of-angels
Goodreads Lisa M. Basso:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3201662.Lisa_M_Basso  



No comments:

Post a Comment