Friday, July 6, 2012

Bad Movies/Good Party Themes: High School Musical 2 Nostalgia Party


Happy first Friday of the month all! If you’re in the mood to feel both nostalgic and ridiculous, have I got a theme for you...

Let me start by saying, that while, yes, High School Musical 2 is a fairly ridiculous movie to older crowds, it’s not actually that bad for the age group at which it was aimed. And the same can be said for its prequel and sequel. If I was thirteen when these came out, I would totally be in love. And if the Roomie’s face when Troy started singing “Bet On It” was any indication, I don’t think she would employ as stringent an age limit as I on this devotion.

Point of fact, these songs will be stuck in your head for days. If not the words, then just snippets of the tunes. And yes, it will drive you mad. I say this as both a warning and an endorsement.

As far as storyline goes, this part of the series shows those crazy Wildcats working summer jobs at a ritzy country club. Between this setting and all the dance breaks of the child labor, it’s got a Kellerman’s meets the Newsboys Strike sort of vibe.

Or maybe, I’ve just got Kenny Ortega on the brain.

You know what? Make it easy on yourself. Just have an Ortega-themed night. Dirty Dancing, Newsies, High School Musical (1-3)….maybe throw in the float scene from Ferris….oooh, Pretty in Pink! Okay, I’m sorry, I’m getting carried away. Shag: The Movie! No, stop it. But it would be magical. That’s a different theme night! Not this one!

My sincerest apologies.

In terms of this theme, I have one word for you: yearbooks. You know what’s a fantastic way to get yourself laughing? Looking at your friends’ HS yearbooks and having them look at yours. Why? Because we were all ridiculous in some way in high school. My yearbook also had baby pics in it. When the Roomie saw mine, her horrified response was, “It’s the same exact face, but on a baby!” Ah, friend-time bonding. 

Can’t put a price on that.



Crackerjack dialogue to look forward to:
-          “But if along the way you act like someone you’re not, pretty soon that’s who you become.”
-          “My show makes the captain of the Titanic look like he won the lottery.”
-          “But you better step away from the mirror long enough to check the damage that will always be right behind you.”
-          “We’re all in this together.” (said, not sung, multiple times by multiple characters)


For a High School Musical 2 Teen Nostalgia Party of your very own, here’s what you need:
-          High School Musical 2 (2007)
-          High school garb (any such garb will do, but if you’re going for real nostalgia, I’d wear something from your own HS days. For instance, I wore my old gym t-shirt and my dance club sweatshirt tied around my waist. Because I am (and was) that cool.)
-          Yearbooks
-          HS era snacks (mine were Oatmeal Crème Pies and Cosmic Brownies)
-          Ribbons, plaques, etc. (Did you win anything in HS? Show it off! Let me tell you, there are very few people who aren’t impressed by my Junior Year Dance Participation Ribbon. And that’s just a fact.)
-          An appreciation for songs that are going to weasel their way into your head for the next week or so (I don’t dance. I know you do! Not a chance. If I can do this, then you can do that. But, I don’t dance……Uh. Sorry about that. Got lost in the head tunes for a sec.)
-          A group of musical enthusiasts and/or Zefron lovers and/or people who know that high school is a thing to laugh over.

No comments:

Post a Comment