Friday, September 14, 2012

Time Traveling Tunes

I'm here to tell you, time travel is not only possible, but I take part in it fairly regularly.

My time machine of choice - music.

I know, I know. It seems mundane, but do you have any idea how much a DeLorean costs? Plus, with everyone having cellphones, there are fewer and fewer phone booths for me to utilize during my excellent adventures. And I'm on the wrong side of the pond to access the Tardis. All in all, given financial and geographic limitations, music is currently my best option.

The songs that really move me quickly through time are the one that are also attached to favorite movies of my childhood. They bring up all sorts of memories of who I watched them with, where I was at the time, what was going on in my life outside the viewing. It can be a fun side trip to make during the day and when I return, it's generally only about three to four minutes from when I left.

Here are a couple of my favored vehicles for time jumps:

 Side note on this one, I've heard rumors that Roomie likes to belt
this one out whenever she goes to her parents' and sees that 
they've changed anything. 


Much to my sister's chagrin, I used to pretend she was Averman 
when we sang along to this scene, just so I could give her 
noogies. Pay attention around 1:28 to see what I mean. 


 My friends and I haven't had too many "Which of the Sex in the 
City quartet are you?" conversations. But we've had plenty of
such talks involving these girls. I'm totally Samantha, by
the way. Who doesn't want to write a book called
The Aliens Next Door

Each one of these songs is so indelibly tied to my memories of childhood that all I need to hear are the first few notes and nostalgia rises up in the ol' chest cavity.

What tunes get your wistful reminiscences going?

No comments:

Post a Comment