Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"Made Me Think of You"



Have you ever had someone say, “I don’t know why, but when I saw this, I immediately thought of you,” as they were giving you a gift?

I used to have that happen frequently with books. People saw one that seemed interesting and they would pass along the information. It was a logical progression, given my non-stop talking about stories.

Recently, however, there has been a shift. I was given gifts by two different friends, one around my birthday, one a couple days ago. The first gift was a candle. The second was a salt and pepper shaker set.

They were both shaped as gnomes.

I was told by both friends that something about the gnomes just made them think of me. Now, I wish I could say I had a propensity for donning lustrous white beards and wearing pointed hats, but beards are itchy and, much to my constant sorrow, I just don’t look good in hats.

So, I’m not entirely sure what it is about these little guys that have people picturing me, but let me tell you, I’m a fan.

I am now the proud owner of a burgeoning gnome collection that I did not set out to start. It’s both cool and weird (the two words I would most like used to describe my life). And to know that in a word association game, if my friends were given “gnomes” their go-to would be “Kelly” --- well that’s even better.



All pictures of me in my various gnome-y disguises. 
(Except for the dog in lederhosen. Total photo bomb.)


I assume it’s only a matter of time before I’m recruited by Travelocity.

What weird things make your loved ones think of you?

2 comments:

  1. Gnomes are cool. If I ever get a garden I am getting some to live in there with the fairies.

    I don't think anything makes my friends think of me. At least, I've never had anyone say as much.

    ReplyDelete