Tuesday, June 4, 2013

And now I want a pet wombat....

Hey there, folks! Long time, no interface.

I'm still playing the happy vagabond. Actually managed to go almost an entire month without consistent Internet service, as well as a number of weeks sans cell phone (the mind reels). It was quite bizarre, but also kind of lovely. And if I was willing to walk a while, I was generally able to find some place with free WiFi when I really needed a fix.

The first stop on my travels was Australia. It was, to put it mildly, pretty damn awesome. I wouldn't hate it if it were a little bit more accessible, but I still think it was more than worth the estimated million hours I spent in the air. If for no other reason than I got to meet this guy:


He pretty much wrecked me for all future cuteness. I mean, come on, who pictures this when they hear "wombat"?? I was expecting a lady bat, or something. But, no, this little dude came a-wandering out and just stole my heart right away. 

Not that this guy was any slouch, either.


Sydney is a really beautiful city. As well as being full of inclines. Seriously, there was no place to walk where at least part of it wasn't uphill. Probably more exercise than I've gotten in the last decade or so. My legs were still pretty much every day. And it was awesome. (Also, probably a necessity considering how much gelato I put away.)


I even walked across that bridge to the right. Though I left the walking over the arch to other people. You know, the crazy ones. 'Cause that's a thing apparently - walking over the whole arch. No, thank you.

The views outside the city were seriously mind-boggling. 




They brought to mind fairy tale adventures. Which may be a large contributing factor as to why I'm currently re-reading Kristin Cashore's Graceling. Well, the views and the fact that the book is made of awesome. 

All in all, the first leg of my journey was fairly epic. But I've now left that lovely continent and landed in the Emerald Isle. 

More on that later. For now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go continue my search for leprechauns. You understand, I'm sure.  

2 comments:

  1. Great, now I want a wombat! I wonder if my family will agree to letting me get one...

    LOVELY pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time in OZ, I have a friend lives in SIdney and he is always sending me photos wheich make me jelous. Have a good time in Ireland where my late parents came from. Passing through on my roadtrip
    http://spudsdailyphoto.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete