Thursday, November 15, 2012

Negative Doesn't Always Equal Bad


Welcome to Day 3 of Book Moods!

I’ve noticed that there are a lot more negative-ish moods on this chart than positive. What’s that about? Someone needs to make a happier chart.

Luckily a negative mood does not translate to a negative reaction to a book. Some books aren’t meant to leave you with the warm and fuzzies. Many of today’s authors did their job really well, leaving me a wee bit very edgy.

·         Frightened: Firestarter (Stephen King)
o       One of the first horror novels I ever read. As soon as I got to the mom getting her fingernails pulled out, all the lights were on.
·         Enraged: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (J.K. Rowling)
o       Never have I ever had such a visceral reaction to a character as I did to Delores Umbridge. I’m angry just thinking about her.
·         Ashamed: Dead Witch Walking (Kim Harrison)
o       I just read this book a few months ago. How did it take me eight years to start this series?? It’s just wrong.
·         Cautious: Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
o       Kept looking around at my classmates, wondering, Would you kill me if we were stuck on a deserted island?
·         Smug: Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen)
o       Not my favorite Austen book, but it’s one of the first books I ever took out from the adult section of the library. I felt so grown up. Put this bad boy in my Keroppi backpack and walked out with my head held high.
·         Depressed: The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)
o       Cried like a tiny baby child.
·         Overwhelmed: Unraveling (Elizabeth Norris)
o       Every time I thought the book might settle into a quiet moment, something else huge would happen. Nothing ever felt safe. Definitely overwhelming, but awesomely so.
·         Hopeful: The Kitchen Daughter (Jael McHenry)
o       An absolutely lovely book. When I finished the final page I felt a little sad, but also very optimistic.

Check in tomorrow for the final mood grouping!

No comments:

Post a Comment