Friday, November 16, 2012

The Final Moods...At least for now.


Last day of Book Moods!

This has been a really interesting exercise. When I first looked over the list, I thought some of them would be difficult, but books actually came to mind fairly quickly. It’s amazing the emotional residue that stories leave.

And now for the final batch:

·         Lonely: The Undomestic Goddess (Sophie Kinsella)
o       Studied in Ireland for a semester and would occasionally feel really homesick. Kinsella’s book was the first of the few books I could afford when I was over there. Sitting there in my room with a book made me feel much closer to home. Now every time I re-read, I remember being lonely and then feeling better.
·         Lovestruck: The Night Circus (Erin Morgenstern)
o       To quote Liz Lemon, “I want to go to there.” A lot.
·         Jealous: Enchanted, Inc. (Shanna Swendson)
o       I want to work at MSI, Inc. so (SO) badly. Getting paid to fight evil wizards and hang out with THE Merlin?? Yes, please.
·         Bored: Winesburg, Ohio (Sherwood Anderson)
o       Required reading for AP English, junior year of high school. Not my cup of tea.
·         Surprised: Map of Bones (James Rollins)
o       Something happened at the end of this book that I couldn’t quite get over, prompting a very long conversation with my father who had also just read it. The people sitting next to us on the train probably loved us. Or wanted to push us into the gap. One of the two.
·         Anxious: The Return of the Indian (Lynne Reid Banks)
o       I was not at all pleased when my mother read to me that Little Bear had been wounded. And then later when those guys are trying to break into Omri’s house? Nervous wreck.
·         Shocked: Sleeping Murder (Agatha Christie)
o       Miss Marple’s last case was the first one I ever read. I did not figure out the murderer ahead of time. Not only did I not see it coming, but it scared the crap out me.
·         Shy: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Bill Martin, Jr./Eric Carle)
o       Bill Martin, Jr. came to my school when I was seven. I stood in line to get my book signed. Was all sorts of starstruck – me, not Bill Martin, Jr. Well, maybe Bill Martin, Jr. too. I can’t really speak for him. But I definitely was.

How about you guys? Any of the books that popped into your head surprise you?

Have a great weekend, full of all the books and moods you want!

2 comments:

  1. On your Agatha Christie note, her And Then There Were None surprised me. It was a very clever plot. Also, the book I just read, Seraphina surprised me over how well it was written and how unusual the characters were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so fun when characters can surprise you. =)

      Delete