Thursday, March 15, 2012

Calling all Leprechauns...

What week of Irish discussion would be complete without some mention of the leprechaun?

These mischievous fairies are less known for their shoe-making prowess than they are for their tendency to keep their business proceeds in pots, hidden at the end of rainbows. It seems like a strange banking system now, but I bet it made all kinds of sense before the dawn of debit cards.

Like most individuals who are concerned about the possibility of being mugged, leprechauns rarely carry a great deal of cash on them. Rather, they have but two coins on their person at any given moment, one silver, one gold. It would behoove you not to accept either one of them, if you’re ever in such a position. The silver coin returns to the leprechaun’s pocket whenever spent and the gold coin turns to ash as soon as the leprechaun has escaped. Not a bad system, all in all, for individuals so frequently the targets of theft.

Also, leprechauns are wily fairies and can vanish with nary a warning. Believe me, I know.

The first leprechaun I ever saw was standing on the street lamp outside my residence hall window.


He was just watching the water, whiling away the minutes. I opened my window further to get a better look. I thought maybe we could have a little chat. I didn’t want his gold or anything. I learned my lesson with the banshees….Don’t try to take what doesn’t belong to you. Face it, situations like that always end poorly. I was just hoping that, considering I was too far away to make a grab for him, that I might be able to fill my lifelong goal of speaking to a leprechaun.

As soon as I opened my mouth to greet him, though, he disappeared in a blink. I also thought I heard him mumble “Pog Mo Thon,” which was kind of rude. I guess he had bad experiences in the past or something.

My sister had much better luck when she came to visit me. I don’t know if she has a more calming presence or this other leprechaun was just less uptight, but he even hung out with us for a couple minutes before vanishing.

I don’t think that he really believed us about not being after his gold and he refused to answer any of my questions, but he did, at least, pose for this awesome picture.

Seconds after this was taken, he was gone.

I’m guessing I haven’t built up a huge leprechaun following at this point, but if, by chance, there is a leprechaun reading this, please know that I have no interest in your gold. I simply want to get to know you. You see, one day I may include you in one of my stories and I would just hate to portray you inaccurately. So, if any of you are ever available for a short meet and greet, please feel free to get in touch with me. I’m happy to travel to you, but I completely understand if you’re more comfortable meeting somewhere away from rainbows.

One last message to all reading this (regardless of your leprechaun status), I hope you have a very Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Slainte!

2 comments:

  1. the light post leprechaun appears to be watching someone's dog take a dump in the river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't be sure, but I think that he was trying to make sure the beast wasn't a puca taking the shape of a dog. You never know when one of those fellas is going to be in a menacing mood.

      Delete