Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Medicinal Movies


I’ve been under the weather the last few days. And you know what? Sick days just aren’t as fun as they were when I was a kid.

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that now I have to do everything for myself. Get my own soup. Make sure tissues are stocked up. Tuck myself into bed. Try to remember where in the name of all that is good and holy I put my coloring books.

There’s more work involved as a grown up. Can’t just flop on the couch and moan all day. There still has to be some level of productivity.

One thing, though, has stayed the same.* The sick day movies.

You know, those movies that you watched when you were a kid and still give you the warm and fuzzies now, so you put them on when your body is rebelling against you as a sort of brain medicine? In between the sniffling and hacking up a lung, they make you smile. And when you inevitably succumb to medicine halfway through and fall asleep, you’re more than happy to start them all over when consciousness returns.

Here are my top five:

  • Star Wars

  • The Princess Bride

  • Romancing the Stone

  • Newsies

  • The Mighty Ducks

What are yours? Because if I don’t shake the ickiness soon, I’m going to need some recommendations.


*Okay, two things are the same. I also still get regular status checks from the parents. Only now they’re over the phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment