Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Mental Reset



Do you have a default song in your head?

I tend to frequently get songs stuck in my head. Last night it was “I’m Gonna Be” by The Proclaimers. A good, fun song, to be sure. But once it latches on to your brain stem, it’s nearly impossible to shake it off.

And because I’m a little bit mean, I’m going to try to put it in all of your heads as well:


You’re welcome.

But, back to the point – lots of songs get stuck in my head. Some more than others. For days, I will have the same melody playing in circles in the old brain pan. And when I finally manage to oust them, they almost inevitably turn up on the radio. The tunes of Cee Lo and Carly Rae Jepsen haunt me.  

There are some days however, where my brain is quiet. No music. Just peaceful silence. Which is wonderful, until I decide that I’m bored with it and would like a little music. And suddenly….nothing. For all my love of songs, I can not come up with a one.

This deafening quiet tends to last just under the longest minute ever and then the music comes through again. But in these situations, it is almost invariably the same song that pops into my mind first.

“Colors of the Wind.”

Yup, the song from Disney’s Pocahontas.

I have no idea why. Sure, I liked that movie as a kid, but it wasn’t my favorite Disney film. I’ve been in numerous musicals. I’ve listened to countless CDs. My inner musical library is not too shabby.

But every time: “Colors of the Wind.”

So, am I alone, or does this happen to other people? Do you have one random song that is always the first to pop into your head when you decide it’s time to do a little singing?

And, finally, in deference to my inner voice:


I’m all for walking in another’s footsteps, but I think grabbing bear cubs 
is an action that should be included in this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment