Monday, March 4, 2013

Getting Lost in Some Good Books



On Friday I participated in the Back From the Future Blogfest and one of the things I received from Future Me was a holographic eReader. (Note to all you technological types out there: Please get on this. I would like one for real.)

This got me thinking about which books I would like to Pagemaster the most.

I think I’d start by jumping into Deborah Harkness’ A Discovery of Witches. For one thing, I’ve never been to England, so this seems like a good way to see it. Plus, quite a bit of this book takes place in libraries, so if I start getting a little nervous are all the witches, vampires and demons, at least I’ll still be surrounded by the comfort of books. It seems like a good way to ease myself into the worlds of fiction.

Definitely want to see Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus. And with this eReader I don’t have to wait until nightfall. Take that reveurs!

However, in terms of magical worlds, I’d be very reluctant to read the Harry Potter books on this contraption. Mostly because I’m pretty sure if I ever made my way into Hogwarts, I wouldn’t want to come out. And I just don't think holographic food is going to be as life-sustaining as the real stuff.

I’d be completely willing to get Lost in a Good Book of Jasper Fforde’s. Access to all those literary characters in one place. Fantastic. But I’d go even if I wasn’t going to get the chance to see all of them. Why? Two words: pet dodo. And I’m sold.

Oooh, and Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time! The suburban world that young Christopher John Francis Boone lives in may not be that far from ones I’ve experienced, but I’m guessing as the book is written in first person that this mystical eReader would show it to me from Christopher’s point of view. And that would be more than worth the re-read.

And, of course, eventually I need to check out Dracula, one of my earliest introductions to Gothic horror. Mostly I want to see if it’s as gloomy and raining as I always imagine it to be. Seriously, pick up that book and thunder starts booming in my head.

Once again, I’m waiting on those of you more technologically minded than myself to figure this whole thing out. Until you do, I’m just going to keep running inside libraries during thunderstorms and hope to get knocked out.

After all, it worked for Richard Tyler.

No comments:

Post a Comment