Thursday, March 14, 2013

Time for Some Pi(e)



Happy Pi Day, my friends!

I hope all of you mathematically inclined folks are doing something suitably math-tastic today. Seeing as that area of study has never been my strong point, I’ll be celebrating with the other kind of pie. You know, the kind that’s delicious.

And because it’s what we do here, I’d like to present you with my favorite pie related works in a variety of mediums.

Book: The Sweetest Thing. Pie is not the only thing baking in this Jill Shalvis work, but with names like Kick-Ass Strawberry Pie and Not Your Momma’s Apple Pie, they are hard to forget.

Movie: Waitress. I honestly can’t think of a another movie that leaves me wanting pie more than this one. My reaction is Pavlovian at this point. Someone mentions this movie, I start thinking about where the nearest place is to buy pie.

Television show: Pushing Daisies time a billion. I mean, there’s not even a close runner up when it comes to TV shows featuring pie. Ned was a pie-maker who owned a pie shop shaped like a giant pie.

Play: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. If Pi Day has you overindulging, this might be what you need to rob you of your appetite. This is one pie shop that I would certainly not want to visit and probably the reason that I stay away from meat pies in general. Of course, it is quite a bit of fun seeing how long you can wait between “Fleet” and “Street” when singing along with “The Ballad of Sweeney Todd.”

Song: “American Pie.” I don’t know about you, but sometimes I just need to take an eight and a half minute dance break. Just long enough to burn off some of the calories of pie number one before I start eating pie number two.

So, how are you going to be celebrating this auspicious day?

No comments:

Post a Comment