Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Waiting on Spring



Spring time is here and the living is easy!

Okay, yeah, I’m currently trying to climb into my office heater. And fine, there’s talk of more snow next Monday. Stop bothering me with trivial details!

How about it being lighter later, huh? That’s springy. It’s not called “springing” forward for nothing, am I right? Sure, the month after daylight savings is always a total mind twist where I think I have more hours in the day than I actually do and somehow it’s ten o’clock before I realize I need to stop frolicking in the frost laden fields and eat some mac and cheese or something. But that’s a price I’m willing to pay for warmer weather.

Or, more realistically, the growing hope that one day the weather will indeed be less frigid.

So, I’m going to celebrate spring. Not let all those naysayers who keep reminding me that it’s supposed to be in the 30s tomorrow. THE THIRTIES. JUST ABOVE FREEZING. WHAT?

No, no, I’m sorry. That’s not what this is about. This is about the celebration of spring. Ignore the cold. Ignore. The. Cold.

Okay, I’m having a little bit of a hard time with that. If you are too, here are my suggestions as to how to get your mind off the, I don’t even want to say it, wintry temperatures:

-          Watch a spring themed movie, such as classics From Justin to Kelly or Shag: The Movie. Seriously, turn away from you computer and go watch these movies. I give you my guarantee that afterward, you will not be thinking about how cold it is. In fact, you may be robbed of the ability to think entirely.

-          Belt out some tunes from The Secret Garden. It may be a bit to cold to start your gardening, but that doesn’t mean you can’t sing about it. Plus, if you like to dance whilst you sing, you’ll be feeling warmer in no time!

-          Do some spring cleaning. Or if you’re not feeling quite that ambitious yet, read The Berenstain Bears Clean House. Might give you some ideas for when you finally do feeling like organizing all your things.

-          Nothing chases away the cold like new love. For some seasonally appropriate tales of devotion, check out Come the Spring (Julie Garwood) or Scandal in Spring (Lisa Kleypas).

-          Solve a mystery! That’ll totally keep you from thinking about the fact that you’re wearing three sweaters. Maybe you have one in your own life that you want to look into, but if not, Rita Mae Brown’s got you covered with the spring time themed Catch as Cat Can.

-          Perhaps reading about warmer weather isn’t helping. In that case, I suggest Ice Hunt by James Rollins. It probably still won’t be springy out when you’ve finished, but at least you’re not in the Arctic. Or, you know, fighting prehistoric creatures. Unless you’re into that sort of thing. Who am I to judge?

Okay, those are my tips. If you have any of your own, please share below. In the mean time, I think I need a forth sweater. And maybe some hot cocoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment