Monday, June 11, 2012

Killing Me Softly With Their Songs


I’m a fan of oldies. If it was performed at least twenty years before I was born, odds are I enjoy singing along to it. As well, as partaking in some car dancing when it comes on the radio.

Certain tunes stick out in my mind more than others. The Brooklyn Bridge’s version of “The Worst That Could Happen,” used to be a real head scratcher for me. As a kid, I would belt out the story of a man whose ex is getting married - an event which is bumming him out a bit, despite his assertions that he will never get married as it is not his scene.

That was all well and good, but when the chorus came around, I was always left confused.

“And baby, if he loves you more than me….”

What? I thought this guy was upset his old girlfriend was getting married, but now it seems like he’s annoyed her intended loves her more than he loves the singer of the song. What’s that about? I hadn’t even gotten the idea that the two men knew each other in the early verses. And now the subject of the song and the singer of the song are in contention for this second guy’s affections.

Needless to say, I was confused.

So, I talked to my mom about it and she cleared up that what the singer was trying to say was that if the second guy loved the girl more than this first guy did, then it was the best thing for her. Which made more sense.

All this befuddlement of my young mind (and my older mind, ‘cause let’s face it, this still bothers me every time I hear the song) could have been avoided if this song had simply used correct grammar.

“And baby, if he loves you more than I….”

That would have been much clearer. It’s not like the “me” in this line really needs to rhyme with any of the other lines, either, so the song flows just as smoothly.

And, on a side note, if someone sings “I don’t really blame you,” they do. It’s the “really” that tips the scales. Just strips that sentiment of all its sincerity.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I must listen to BSB croon “I’ll Never Break Your Heart.” ‘Cause I’d really like get to know it “a little more better.”

No comments:

Post a Comment